Information about Computer Engineering Colleges
Computer engineering is one of the fastest growing careers in the world. Competent engineers are needed in every industry to design operating systems, networks, software, applications, programs and games, keeping them in high demand even in the slowest economies. They are highly trained professionals, and those that attend any of the top computer engineering collegesin the country have their pick of jobs available after graduation.
What Computer Engineering Colleges Have to Offer
Most computer engineering colleges offer a variety of different courses in software engineering, computer programming and electrical engineering to give students as broad a knowledge base as possible. By equipping students with skills in programming, software applications, design and maintenance, these schools ensure that students will be able to work in a variety of contexts. Students may encounter courses such as:
• Systems Analysis: Discover the ways different systems, computers, and networks interact and communicate with an emphasis on signal processing and memory systems.
• Software Design:Develop new solutions to computer problems according to various system specifications using low-level component and algorithm implementation.
• Networking: Learn how different computer systems can work together to deal with more complex systems, share resources, and process greater amounts of data.
• Programming Languages: Understand the multiple languages that are used in software development, including C, Perl, Java, and HTML.
• Quality Assurance and Testing: Master the techniques needed to spot bugs, test data systems, and ensure quality of programs.
• Electrical Circuits: Learn the different components that make computing possible by discovering the interactions between electrical currents, circuitry, and chips.
• Algorithms and Data Structures: Follow the algorithm processes to see exactly how computers process, calculate, and compute data.
Any degree in computer engineering can adequately prepare most students for a job in computing and technology. However, by earning a degree from any of the top computer engineering colleges, individuals can better specialize and prepare themselves for the most challenging and rewarding computing jobs. The top 10 computer engineering colleges are:
• California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, California
• Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Massachusetts
• Stanford University in Stanford, California
• University of Illinois in Champaign, Illinois
• University of California in Berkeley, California
• Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
• Cornell University in Ithaca, New York
• Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, Georgia
• Harvard University in Cambridge Massachusetts
• Princeton University in Princeton, New Jersey
Online Programs in Computer Engineering
There are also several online programs that offer degrees in computer engineering. The discipline naturally lends itself to the online medium, and nearly every public university will offer several of their computing courses online. For degree programs that are completed almost entirely over the internet, students should look at accredited schools such as:
• Walden University
• Strayer University
• DeVry Institute of Technology
• Florida Tech University
• Drexel University Online
• Colorado Technical University
How High School Students Can Prepare
Computer engineers use a great deal of math in their day to day work, so high school students can best prepare by taking every math, science, and computing class available. They should also seek to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 and aim for a high math score on the SATs as these will help them get into the best computer engineering schools available. Recommended classes include:
• Computer Science
Computer engineers are likely to increase in demand as more and more goods and services move to the internet. Those who can design new technologies or take advantage of existing technologies in new and exciting ways will always be in high demand. With the right education and enough experience, aspiring computer engineers will find that there is always a job available for them.